This policy (together with Our Terms and Conditions which can be found at www.debeers.com and any other documents referred to on it) sets out how we will use any personal data which you provide through Our Site. Please read it carefully before you proceed.
Information we may collect from you
We may collect and process the following data about you:
• Information that you provide by filling in forms on Our Sites. This includes information provided at the time of registering to use Our Site, subscribing to Our service, posting material or requesting further services including, for example, name, home and/or business address, email address, telephone number, demographic information such as age and/or other information that may identify you as an individual. We may also ask you for information when you enter a competition or promotion sponsored by Us, sign-up for e-mail newsletters and when you report a problem with Our Site.
• If you contact Us, We may keep a record of that correspondence.
• We may also ask you to complete surveys that We use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them.
• Details of (if applicable) transactions you carry out through Our Site and of the fulfilment of your orders.
• Details of your visits to Our Site including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data, whether this is required for Our own billing purposes or otherwise and the resources that you access.
•Any other data you may provide to us in connection with Our services and/or Our Site, including but not limited to:
• information you provide when you compile wishlists or other gift registries;
• email addresses of your friends and other people; and
• pictures and/or videos which you submit to Us either via Our social media sites or Our Site.
Where we store your personal data
Where We have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of Our Site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
While We have implemented reasonable technical and organisational precautions to protect the security and integrity of personal data provided to Our Site, due to the inherent nature of the internet as an open global communications vehicle, We cannot guarantee that information, during transmission through the internet or while stored on Our system or otherwise in Our care, will be absolutely safe from intrusion by others, such as hackers. We maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards to protect your Personally Identifiable Information (PII). We strive to protect information transmitted on or through the Site or Services, however, We cannot and do not guarantee the security of any information you transmit on or through the Site, and you do so at your own risk.
You agree to (a) immediately notify Us of any unauthorised use of your password or account or any other breach of security, and (b) ensure that you exit from your account at the end of each session. It is your responsibility to control the dissemination and use of your password, control access to and use of your account, and notify Us when you desire to cancel your account on this Site. We are not responsible or liable for any loss or damage arising from your failure to comply with this provision.
We will not be liable for disclosure of your information due to errors or unauthorised acts of third parties during or after transmission.
We recommend that you change your password every three months. If you are using a public computer (e.g. at a library), or a shared computer, We urge you to log out of your account and Our Site altogether, and quit the browser application before you leave the computer. This will help prevent others from accessing your account and any personal information.
In the unlikely event that We believe that the security of your personal information in Our possession or control may have been compromised, We may seek to notify you of that development. If a notification is appropriate, We would endeavour to do so as promptly as possible under the circumstances, and, to the extent We have your e-mail address, We may notify you by e-mail. You hereby consent to Our use of e-mail as a means of such notification.
Uses made of the information
We use information held about you in the following ways:
• To ensure that content from Our Site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
• To carry out Our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and Us or to provide you with the Site and any services requested by you.
• To allow you to participate in interactive features of Our service, when you choose to do so.
• To notify you about changes to Our service.
• If you review or download information, We track the visit to give Us information about which part of the site is frequented.
• To send you notices (for example, in the form of e-mails, SMS, mailings, and the like), and otherwise correspond with you, about products, services, companies and events, sponsored by us and others, that We think might interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes.
• To communicate with you regarding the status of your orders.
We may also retain data about your transaction (if applicable) on Our Site, such as the dates you purchased and the quantity and value of the purchases (if applicable).
We may use third-party partners to help operate Our Site and deliver Our products and services, and may share your information with Our affiliates, service providers and other third parties that provide products or services for or through this Site or for Our business (such as website or database hosting companies, address list hosting companies, e-mail service providers, analytics companies, distribution companies, fulfilment companies, marketing and promotional companies, and other similar service providers that use such information on Our behalf).
We may disclose aggregate statistics regarding user behaviour as a measure of interest in, and use of, Our Site and e-mails to third parties in the form of aggregate data, such as overall patterns or demographic reports that do not describe or identify any individual user.
Disclosure of your information
Your privacy is important to Us. We may disclose your personal information to any member of Our group, which means Our subsidiaries, Our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries.
We may also use your personal information to maintain Our internal record keeping and/or share it with Our affiliates for internal marketing or other purposes.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
• In the event that We sell or buy any business or assets, in which case We may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
• If De Beers Jewellers US Inc or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred a assets.
• If We are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply Our Terms and Conditions and other agreements; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of De Beers Jewellers US Inc, Our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
We may disclose user information to government authorities, and to other third parties when compelled to do so by government authorities or otherwise as required or permitted by law, including but not limited to in response to court orders and subpoenas. We also may disclose user information when We have reason to believe that someone is causing injury to or interference with our rights or property, other users of Our Site, or anyone else that could be harmed by such activities. Additionally, We cooperate with law enforcement inquiries and other third parties to enforce laws, intellectual property rights and other rights.
We may permit selected third parties to use your data, to provide you with information about goods and services which may be of interest to you and they may contact you about these by post or telephone. If you are a new customer, and where We permit selected third parties to use your data, We (or they) will contact you by electronic means only if you have consented to this.
You have the right to ask Us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if We intend to use your data for such purposes or if We intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms We use to collect your data.
You have the right to “opt in” and “opt out” of certain uses of your personal data. For example, at the time you are requested to provide personal information on the Site, you may have the opportunity to elect to, or not to (1) receive correspondence from Us, or (2) have your personal information shared with other entities for their marketing purposes.
Please understand that if you opt out of receiving promotional correspondence from Us, We may still contact you in connection with your relationship, activities, transactions and communications with Us. Also, a request to have Us stop sharing your personal information with other entities for marketing purposes will only apply as of the date of your request, and We will not be responsible for any communications that you may receive from entities that received your personal information prior to such request. In these cases, please contact that entity directly. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting Us at Client Services, Third Floor, 300 First Stamford Place, CT OR email@example.com.
Our Site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of Our partner networks, advertisers and/, affiliates and stockists. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that We do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies or Content contained on this Site. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
California Consumer Privacy Act Disclosures
Your California Privacy Rights
When we refer to “Personal Information” in the CPP, we are referring to information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with you. Personal Information does not include information that is aggregated or information that cannot be reasonably linked to you.
The sources for the Personal Information we have collected, used, or shared include: you, when you use our Website or services; your devices, when you use them to connect to our Services; our service providers; our affiliates and franchisees; and other third parties.
|Categories of Personal Information collected, used, or shared||Categories of third parties with whom Personal Information was shared||Purposes for which Personal Information was collected, used, or shared|
As a California resident, you have the right to request information about our collection, use, and sharing of your Personal Information, including our disclosure of your Personal Information for direct marketing purposes. You also have the right to access your Personal Information or to request the deletion of your Personal Information. If you wish to do any of these things, please email us or contact us toll-free at +1 (888) 376 9230. In order to process your requests, California law may require us to collect additional information to verify your identity.
Access to information
You have the right to access all the personal information we hold about you (which may include a right to correct any inaccuracies or object to certain information). If you wish to access or amend your personal data which is held by Us, please contact our Client Services Team at firstname.lastname@example.org OR Client Services, Third Floor, 300 First Stamford Place, CT. We may charge you a small fee and may require verification of your identity for providing a copy of your information as permitted by law.
Public and Interactive Areas of our Site
We use the following types of cookie:
- Strictly necessary cookies. These are cookies that are required for the operation of our website. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of our website, use a shopping cart or make use of e-billing services.
- Analytical/performance cookies. They allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around our website when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our website works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
- Functionality cookies. These are used to recognise you when you return to our website. This enables us to personalise our content for you, greet you by name and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language or region).
- Targeting cookies. These cookies record your visit to our website, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We will use this information to make our website and the advertising displayed on it more relevant to your interests.
The cookies we use and why
|Strictly necessary cookies|
|This cookie is set by website content management system to remember the following:
Any items in your shopping bag;
|Google Analytics – this allows us to understand how visitors interact with our website and to improve our service||2 years|
|Google Analytics – this allows us to understand how visitors interact with our website and to improve our service||2 years|
|Google Analytics – this allows us to understand how visitors interact with our website and to improve our service||24 hours|
|Bing Advertising – this allows us to understand how visitors via Bing interact with our website||30 minutes|
|Tracks site navigation, responsiveness, and other metrics to help us improve visitors’ experience on our sites.||10 months|
|This allows us to measure our visitor frequency and whether visitors have created an account on the website||6 months|
|These are managed by ZopIM, who provide the technology behind our LiveChat service. The __zlcmid cookie allows you to continue your conversation with us as you view different pages on our site, or if you come back to the site at a later date.||1 year|
|This cookie is set if you choose to disable the live chat and the _zlcmid cookie is deleted.||9 months|
|tms_VisitorID||Fresh Relevance – This cookie stores a unique id for the device. This is used to keep track of your shopping.||6 months|
|tms_wsip||Fresh Relevance – This cookie records whether you are using a modern web browser that supports a more efficient communication channel called “web sockets”.||6 months|
Third party cookies
Some of the cookies identified above are third party cookies. We work with other companies, such as search engine providers, so that we can learn more about our customers and provide a more personalised service. The table below further explains the third party cookies that are used on our website and their purposes. To learn more about how these third parties process information, follow the links in the table below to the third party privacy notice. If you wish to opt out of any of these cookies then please follow the links provided for information on opting out or change your browser settings as explained below.
|Third party||Purpose||Link to third party privacy notice|
|Bing||Bing allows us to build lists of users who have searched for certain terms and clicked on results using their search engines, so that we can target our advertising more effectively.||http://choice.microsoft.com/en-us/opt-out
|Facebook Custom Audiences||We use custom audience pixels to record information about the way visitors use our Website. This pixel records information about a user’s browser session, which it sends to Facebook, along with an anonymised version of the Facebook ID and the URL viewed. This allows us to target our Facebook ads to audiences of people who have visited our Website.||http://www.facebook.com/about/privacy/|
|Google (AdWords Remarketing)||This cookie helps us to advertise De Beers across the internet, in particular on the Google Display network. Remarketing will display ads to you based on which product pages you have visited on the De Beers website by placing a cookie on your web browser. This cookie does not in any way identify you or give access to your computer or mobile device. The cookie is used to indicate to other websites that ‘this person visited a particular page, so show them ads relating to that page.’and allows us to tailor our marketing to better suit your needs and display ads that are relevant to you.||http://www.google.com/analytics/learn/privacy.html|
|Google / Doubleclick||We use Google DoubleClick cookies to inform, optimise and serve ads based on a visitor’s previous visit to our Website and report how ad impressions, other uses of ad services and interactions with these ad impressions and ad services are related to visits to our Website.||http://www.google.com/analytics/learn/privacy.html|
|Google Analytics||These cookies are used to collect information about how visitors use our Website. We use the information to compile reports and to help us improve the Website.||http://www.google.com/analytics/learn/privacy.html|
|IP Label||For monitoring and improving the performance of our website.||. https://www.ip-label.co.uk/legal-information/
|New Relic||We use the New Relic service to monitor the performance of the website, its underlying systems and architecture.||https://newrelic.com/cookie-policy|
|Campaign Monitor||We also send emails using Campaign Monitor, which uses tracking technology. We use this information primarily to understand what subjects are interesting to our readers, by monitoring whether our emails are opened and what links are clicked on by our readers. We then use this information to improve the emails that we send to you.||https://www.campaignmonitor.com/policies/#privacy-policy|
|Content Square||ContentSquare is a solution which aggregates usage and frequency data to improve user experience. Statistics created are anonymous.||https://www.contentsquare.com/privacy-and-security/|
|Fresh Relevance||This may be used to personalize marketing content to help you find what you want, to offer assistance by email if you seem to be having problems with ordering, or to help us improve the Website.||https://www.freshrelevance.com/cookies-policy|
How do I change my cookie settings?
Cookies can be controlled by your web browser settings. Whether our cookies are used will depend on your browser settings, so you are in control. To find out more about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set and how to manage and delete them, please use the following links:
- Internet Explorer cookies information
- Chrome cookies information
- Firefox cookies information
- Safari cookies information
Please be aware that by blocking all cookies you may not be able to access or use all the features of our website and you will not receive a personalised service.